Nov 26, 2009

The Final Answer

After a brief yet mildly entertaining stint with the Memphis Grizzlies Allen Iverson has called it a career. Retiring after 13 years in the NBA. Iverson was a 10 year Sixer and a 10-time All-Star as well as a four-time regular season scoring leader.

Iverson Announced his retirement via long time confidant Stephen A. Smith.


"I have enjoyed 13 wonderful seasons in the NBA, and I am grateful. I want to first acknowledge my fans everywhere, who have been with me throughout my entire career. Without you, there would be no me. You should all know that I appreciate your support from the bottom of my heart. Thank you! To Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley and Larry Bird, you guys gave me the vision to play the game that will be forever in my heart." (An excert from his "retirement announcement"

The hard thing to swallow is the validation of Iverson's retirement. When he opened up the announcement he announced that he wished he could have retired when he no longer could play the game but that he still had "fuel left in the tank".
Iverson was a very public and outspoken all star in his 13 NBA seasons. He was a hot headed player and felt that he should always be on the court. From the wording of the press release it seems that, given a chance to start, Iverson will be back in the league shortly.

Now beyond his outbursts Iverson is one of the best players in NBA history. He ranks 17th all time in career scoring (24020) and is in the top five all time in points per game, steals, assists per game and minutes played.

Iverson lead the Sixers to the 2001 NBA finals and was the hands down all-star in his stint in Philadelphia. Much of his play on the court was downplayed due to his open frigid relationship with then Sixers coach Larry Brown. Iverson was historically a non fan of practise and publically criticized his place on the team.

Is this the Final Answer for A.I...... only time will tell but beyond anything the man had an incredible career and will go down for one of the best sound bites of all time......

-b.chan.

-First article published on examiner.com today, check it out. Also eternal mulligan is now on twitter @ www.twitter.com/PhillyGuyBC

No comments:

Post a Comment